3 bell peppers, in different colours (I used green, red and yellow)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
2 teaspoons mint leaves
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoons olive oil
- Place the onions in a medium bowl and sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt over them. Mix well and set aside.
- Cut the peppers into quarters, remove the seeds and place on a baking tray, skin side up. Drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil over the peppers and toss together.
- Wrap the garlic cloves in foil and place on the baking tray as well.
- Place the tray under a grill and grill until the peppers' skins are blackened.
- Remove the tray from the oven. Put the peppers in a bowl, cover with cling film and allow to cool.
- Mint and Roasted Garlic Dressing: When cool enough to handle, remove the garlic cloves from the foil and peel. Using a mortar and pestle, grind together the mint, garlic and lemon juice to form a paste. Stir in the olive oil.
- When the peppers have cooled, peel the skins off and thinly slice them, lengthwise.
- Transfer the onions to a strainer and rinse well. Squeeze the excess water out and place on paper towel or newspaper to dry.
- Now mix together the peppers and onions and toss in the dressing. Before serving, taste the salad and add more salt if you like, but the onions will already be quite salty so you may not need to add more.