Recently, I've been having trouble eating bananas raw.
I used to love them. But now I can't seem to eat them without gagging. So they need to be baked or blended or caked or cookied or waffled...
You get the idea...
I've made banana bread loads of times but I thought I'd try baking a chocolate banana bread this time.
Adding chocolate can only make things better, right?
I used a recipe from Smitten Kitchen and it was delicious; very chocolaty and very banana-y, both flavours strong but perfectly balanced, neither overshadowing the other.
And it could not have been easier. Dump everything in a bowl, stir, and stick it in the oven.
adapted from smitten kitchen
1¼ cup mashed bananas
4 oz butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
a pinch of salt
1 cup flour
- Preheat the oven to 350⁰F (180⁰C).
- Grease a 9x5 inch loaf tin with cooking oil or butter, and line it with wax paper (parchment paper).
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- In another large mixing bowl, add the mashed bananas, melted butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Allow the loaf to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Banana Chocolate Chip Walnut Loaf
Date, Pistachio, and Lemon Loaf
Chocolate Chip Walnut Loaf