Back on track!
June's recipe in June.
This recipe was my attempt to replicate THINaddictives®, these very thin crunchy cookies I discovered a few years ago while on holiday in America. I really love the cranberry and almond ones and they're hard to find outside the US.
I had hoped they would turn out good, but I was surprised—pleasantly— at how great the result was. They are pretty close to the real thing. Crisp and crunchy, perfect for snacking, and loaded with cranberry and almond goodness.
Even better, no butter, no oil.
And no electric mixer needed.
⅓ cup whole almonds
⅓ cup dried cranberries*
⅓ cup sugar
½ tsp vanilla (optional)
¾ cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
⅛ tsp salt
*This time I used Del Monte dried cranberries but I have used this brand as well.
1. Preheat the oven to 350⁰F (180⁰C).
2. Spread the almonds on a baking tray and toast in the oven for 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the oven, let them cool, and then chop them up.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add the egg and sugar (and vanilla, if you're using it) and whisk for 1 minute.
4. Sift together the flour and baking powder, and add to the bowl. Add the salt, chopped almonds, and cranberries and mix well.
5. Scrape out batter onto greased and lined* baking tray. The dough is sticky so keep a small bowl of water next to you and dip your fingers in it to help you shape the log.
6. Shape the biscotti mixture into a log, 10 to 11 inches long, about 1 inch high, and about 2 inches wide. (It may look weird and runny at this point but it will turn out fine once it has baked.)
7. Place in the oven and bake at 350⁰F (180⁰C) for 20 minutes. Remove the log from the oven and allow to cool. Turn the oven temperature down to 290⁰F.
8. When the log is cool enough to handle, cut it, with a sharp knife, into slices as thin as you can easily manage. Mine were between 0.5cm and 0.75cm.
9. Place the sliced biscotti back on the baking tray and return to the oven. Bake for 15 minutes on one side, then turn them over and bake for another 15 minutes.
10. Remove biscotti from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container/jar.